A visit to Sant’Agnese Fuori le Mura in Rome is slightly complicated. You are really visiting multiple sites in one space (including the mausoleum of Santa Costanza). Since today is the feast day of this saint, I thought I would post a few photos of our visit this past weekend. Originally erected by Constantina, sometimes known as Constanza in the IV century it has undergone many transformations. It is a great visit outside the walls of Rome and easy to get to. It has great examples of Byzantine mosaics, the archeological remains are well preserved to show us how a circiforme church would have worked, there are catacombs as well. My favorite story is the group of Dutch “intellectuals” in the 17th century who took over the circular Santa Costanza as a place to hold bacchanal. There is graffiti all over the place. They mistook all of the artwork depicting the harvest and winemaking as a sign that this was a former place of worship of the god Bacchus. In fact winemaking and the harvest are common symbols in early Christianity. Just right across the way, the nuns and priests were devoted to their sweet saint Agnese., who most likely never existed.
We think any excursion to the Castelli Romani must include the gorgeous town and lake of Nemi. It is a very magical mysterious place!! It is also famous for strawberries Do you want to join us on an excursion from Rome? Contact us for more information
Last weekend friends from Holland came to Rome and we took them on an excursion to Latina. I think Natasha’s photo sums up a Lazio experience. Culture, wine, food and fun. Join us for an excursion from Rome
We’ve compiled a list of our favorite enoteche (wine bars) in Rome Check it out on our blog
It has been so much fun leading tours in Rome lately. There is wonderful food available during our culinary stroll and it has been great walking through the city for cultural tours as well.
I admit I am a “naturalist” Vej is my favorite wine at the moment. It tastes like sunshine in a bottle. It is alive, delicious and unique. It is made from Malvasia grapes and macerated with the skins. Only ambient yeasts are used. No sulphites added! If you want to taste natural Italian wine please […]
Calendar of My Posts
- Visiting the National Museum of Rome to appreciate some #scultpures 😍 #rome #italy #museum… instagram.com/p/BSLqC0rAEJw/ 14 hours ago
- Back at the #vatican today. I really appreciated this statue of #zeus #rome #italy #meetitaly instagram.com/p/BSJaZD_AQ2Z/ 1 day ago
- It is ok IN the USA but not abroad. Hypocrites. #StandingRock #NoDAPL #Istandwithstandingrock #DumpTrump twitter.com/StateDept/stat… 1 day ago
- @StateDept Oh, ok, you condemn it abroad but not in your own country? #StandingRock #NoDAPL #Istandwithstandingrock 1 day ago
- RT @TheWinerist: The Winerist wine upcycle challenge. Some ideas to upcycle your old wine bottles or corks. bit.ly/1NlpJ0t https:… 3 days ago